Texas 4-H Centennial Celebration Ideas for the County and Local Level
Events & Activities Description
(Adapted from the Panhandle South Plains 75th Anniversary activities)
- each county may enter as many as available
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored
- no 4-H record book may be entered; just club and individual 4-H scrapbooks
- each book must be clearly labeled with name, address and county
- each book must be checked in _________ between 10:00-10:30 a.m.
- each book must be picked up on _________ between 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- scrapbook winners will be recognized at the 3:00 p.m. awards ceremony
- posters must have any 4-H theme
- a county can enter as many 4-H posters as available
- posters will be judged in two categories
- 100th anniversary theme
- other 4-H theme
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored in each category
- each poster must be clearly labeled (on the back) with name, address and county
- each poster must be checked in __________ between 10:00-10:30 a.m.
- all posters must be picked up on __________ between 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- poster winners will be recognized at the 3:00 p.m. awards ceremony
- each girl or lady 9-99 years of age should bring one box lunch that will feed 3 or 4
- each box lunch will be decorated - any 4-H theme
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored prior to the auction
- box lunches must be checked in on _________ between 10:00-10:30 a.m.
- box lunches will be auctioned off at 12:00 noon
- box lunches will be bought by boys and men in attendance
- box lunches will be spread and shared so that all in attendance will have lunch
- box lunches will be paid for at auction time on __________
- funds from box lunch auction will go to support the general costs of the extravaganza -
- facilities, insurance, awards, etc.
“World’s Longest Balloon” String
- during the day, balloons will be filled with helium, participants’ names will be written on the balloon, and balloons will be tied to one continuous string. This will serve as a way to celebrate the 100th anniversary and to draw attention to our event
- there is no cost to participate
- participants may tie on one balloon in the morning and one in the afternoon
- balloons will be furnished
Old 4-H Record Books
- 4-H record books will be from 4-H alumni
- they must not have been entered in 4-H competition during the last 10 years
- they must be a “complete” 4-H record book
- each county may enter as many as are available
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd and oldest will be honored
- books must be checked in between 10:00-10:30 a.m. on __________
- books must be clearly labeled with name, address and county
- books must be picked up on __________ between 5:30-8:00 p.m.
- winning record book will be recognized at the 3:00 p.m. awards ceremony
- Olympic events will be as follows:
- 3 legged race
- sack race
- potato race
- slipper kick
- egg roll
- apple bobbing
- wheel barrow
- poison peanut butter
- tricycle race
- they will take place between 10:30-12:00 noon and between 2:00-3:00 p.m. on ______
- participants may enter as many events and each event as many times as time allows
- over-all 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored for morning and afternoon events. Scoring will be based on 1 point for each event entered, 10 points for 1st in any event or race, 7
- points for 2nd in any event or race, and 5 points for 3rd in any event or race. As each person enters an event or wins/places in an event, the score will be attached to the participant’s name tag
- winners of morning events will be announced at lunch and winners of afternoon events will be announced at dinner
- morning participants must have points verified from 12:00-12:30 at lunch
- afternoon participants must have points verified from 3:00-3:15 p.m.
- facilities will be available for volleyball, washers and horseshoes
- sports events will take place on __________ between 10:30-12:00 noon and between 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- participants may enter as county teams and/or individuals
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd for individual/team sportsmanship and enthusiasm will be awarded for morning and afternoon events
- winners will be announced at lunch and at dinner
- 1949 movie about a family and how 4-H helped them. It stars Walter Brennan and Natalie Wood
Mobile Radio Unit
- Have the _____ radio mobile unit set up. Prepare participants that they might be called on for spot interviews.
- Share-The-Fun Acts
- all district junior and senior Share-The-Fun entries are asked to present their acts
- check in at 11:30 a.m.
- Share-The-Fun acts will be presented during lunch on ___ between 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Oldest 4-H Alumni
- each county should identify one
- submit entry form by _________
- oldest 4-H alumni should be checked in on _________ by 1:30 p.m.
- oldest 4-H alumni will be honored at 3:00 p.m. on _________
Current 4-H Leader with the Most Years of Continuous Service
- each county should identify one person or one couple (that have served 4-H the same amount of time)
- submit entry form by ___________
- 4-H leader serving the most years should be checked in on _________ by 1:30 p.m.
- 4-H leader serving the most years will be honored at 3:00 p.m. on _________
Oldest 4-H Club
- each county should identify their one oldest 4-H club that has functioned continuously
- submit the attached form by __________
- one person should be identified to represent the club at the presentation
- representative of the oldest 4-H club should be checked in on __________ by 1:30 p.m.
- oldest 4-H club will be honored at 3:00 p.m. on __________
- each county may have as many entries as available
- each participant must be checked in by 1:30 p.m. on _________
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored
- winners will be recognized at the 3:00 p.m. awards ceremony
- a time capsule will be buried to be reopened on the 150th anniversary of 4-H in Texas (2058)
- each county should bring one item no larger than approximately 9"x 12" x 4"
- suggestions: current 4-H roll, pictures of current 4-H events, representation of county (i.e. small bale of cotton, vial of oil), list of former Gold Star winners, list of participants at Extravaganza, county 4-H yearbook/calendar, pictures of 4-H Council
- each item must be labeled with date and county
County with Largest Attendance
- registration closes on __________ at 1:30 p.m. for this award
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be honored at the 3:00 p.m. awards ceremony
Pie and Cake Judging
- each county may bring as many entries as desired
- no cakes or pies will be accepted that require refrigeration - no cream or cream products
- three categories will be judged
- cakes - general
- cakes - 100th anniversary theme
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category will be honored
- participants must be checked in by 1:30 p.m.
- winners will be honored at dinner
- no pies or cakes will be returned to participants as they will be served for dessert at dinner
- space will be available for free-lance domino tournaments
- anyone can enter
- bring your own dominoes (please have them labeled)
- tournament will take place on __________ from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- 3:00 p.m. on ___________
- honoring oldest 4-H alumni, leader with most years service, oldest 4-H club, 4-H
- poster winners, 4-H scrapbook winners, former 4-H record book winners, and county with largest attendance
- time capsule ceremony
Tree Planting Ceremony
- 4:30 p.m. on ___________
- 1-20 trees will be planted at the ___________________________________
- at least one person from each county should be present at ceremony
Balloon Rides (tentative)
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. on ___________
- tentative charge, unknown
Watermelon Eating and Seed Spitting Contest
- everyone may enter
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. on ___________
- watermelon eating is for pleasure - seed spitting will be for competition for the longest distance
- 1st , 2nd and 3rd will be honored at dinner
For comments and questions about this site please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org